As an Amazon Affiliate and member of various affiliate programs, we may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
This Low Carb Tomato Soup is a must-have in the fall and winter soup rotation! While traditional tomato soup isn’t as high in carbs as some other soups, it does pack a punch with added sugars.
I’ve always loved a good tomato soup and grilled cheese. So I knew I had to find a way to make a soup that was not only low carb, but also flavorful and rich like the original.
What goes in Low Carb Tomato Soup?
When I want tomato soup, I want it NOW – it’s never a planned out meal. My other half isn’t a tomato soup fan, so I’m always the only one who craves it.
Therefore, I knew I had to make the recipe quick, easy, and simple. I’d come across a post one day where a lady was eating straight marinara sauce mixed with water and calling it tomato soup. And while it sounded kind of gross, it got me to thinking: why NOT use tomato sauce?
And not just any tomato sauce – the ultimate low carb friendly sauce: Rao’s. After some interesting experimentation making this soup, here are the ingredients that made the best soup.
- Rao’s Homemade Tomato Herb Sauce
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Chicken Broth
- Tomato Paste
- Pyure Granular Sweetener
It’s a short and sweet list there, I know. BUT – the end result comes out *chef’s kiss* perfect!
How many carbs are in Low Carb Tomato Soup?
For this particular tomato soup recipe, there are 8.3 net carbs per serving, and there are four servings in this recipe.
Please note that the serving sizes are smaller – about one cup per serving. So if you’re planning on having about a couple of cups of soup measured out into your bowl, you’ll be looking at 16.6 net carbs.
Still not too shabby for tomato soup!
Creamy Low Carb Tomato Soup
- 1 Saucepan or Soup Pot
- 1 jar Rao's Homemade Tomato Herb Sauce
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- ½ cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 tbsp Pyure Granular Sweetener
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Place your pan or pot over low to medium heat on your stovetop.
- Add in your ingredients: Rao's Homemade Tomato Herb Sauce, heavy whipping cream, chicken broth, tomato paste, Pyure Sweetener, salt, and pepper.
- Using a large spoon, stir to mix the ingredients well. Continue to stir frequently for the next 10-20 minutes as the soup cooks. Be sure to stir frequently enough that the soup doesn't burn to the bottom of the pot.
- Once the soup is done, let cool a couple of minutes & then serve immediately.
- OPTIONAL TIP: If you want a smoother soup consistency, you can place the ingredients in a bowl & use an immersion blender to blend until smooth before adding to pan or pot.
Recipe Notes for Creamy Low Carb Tomato Soup
Rao’s Homemade Tomato Herb Sauce
- I’m particular about the sauce because I trust this brand, and the sauce has a great taste with lower sugar and carb content.
- You CAN use other tomato sauce brands, just be sure to check the carbs & sugars per serving.
- Additionally, you can use other kinds of Rao’s tomato sauces as well. I chose this one because it had a great flavor already, so I didn’t need to add much to it in order to make it taste the way I wanted it to.
- Do you have to use chicken broth? No – you could also use water, or a vegetable broth. Chicken broth is just what I prefer in this recipe for taste.
- You can use either regular chicken broth, or the reduced sodium chicken broth, if you’d like.
Heavy Whipping Cream
- The heavy whipping cream makes this soup extra creamy and rich. That being said, if you’d like to use less, you can. Just replace the amount you’re reducing it by with more chicken broth.
- I wouldn’t advise using any type of milk or half and half as a substitute. The carb count will greatly differ, and the taste / texture will be off as well.
- Make sure to use tomato paste – not an additional tomato sauce. Tomato paste has a thicker consistency, and a denser flavor profile, which is what you’ll want in this soup.
Pyure Granular Sweetener
- If you’d rather have a less sweet soup, you can reduce or omit the sweetener.
- Also, you can use a different type of low carb friendly sweetener as well. Just be sure to adjust the serving size accordingly.
- For reference, 1 tbsp of Pyure = 2 tbsp of Sugar, so it measures 1 : 2.
- I only used a couple of pinches of salt in mine.
- Start with just a pinch or two, and add more to taste.
Ground Black Pepper
- Same with the pepper – add a small amount to start, and then add more to taste if needed.
- You can get by with cooking this tomato soup in as little as 10 minutes.
- I usually cook it for between 15-20 minutes
- Some optional toppings you might want to include: Shredded cheese, low carb croutons, or a small drizzle of warmed cream.
How to make a smoother tomato soup consistency
As mentioned in the recipe options, you can add the ingredients to a bowl and use an immersion blender to blend the soup into a smoother consistency before cooking.
Low Carb Tomato Soup pairs perfectly with a low carb Grilled Cheese
Make my Grilled Cheese Recipe using your favorite low carb / keto bread option! One of my favorite keto breads to make grilled cheese with is the Lewis Keto Hawaiian Bread. It’s so good!
How did you like this Recipe?
Give it a rating above, and leave a comment below!