As an Amazon Affiliate and member of various affiliate programs, we may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
I’ve made a lot of grilled cheese sandwiches in my day (and I do mean A LOT). Grilled cheese is the real MVP of lazy comfort food – tasty, versatile, and super cheap to make.
The grilled cheese is an essential sandwich in your recipe arsenal – you can pair it up with soups and chilis. Or you can add more ingredients to it to make it even tastier (I.e., some crispy bacon, or some juicy tomato slices).
Luckily for you, MOST of the time you’re going to have all the ingredients for grilled cheese – AND, bonus points if you’ve got some tomato soup on hand 🙌
What Ingredients do you need to make a grilled cheese?
Here are the absolute essentials:
- Sliced Cheese
We’ll dive into the specifics below.
Keep in mind, this recipe is not for the faint of heart. This grilled cheese recipe is jam-packed full of calories that I would never even dream of counting. But if you want tasty, gooey, buttery cheesy goodness? START COOKING 🍽
The Best Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
- 2 Slices Bread
- 2 Slices Colby Jack Sliced Cheese or other type sliced cheese
- 1-2 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp Mayonnaise
- Spread your mayo on one side of each of your bread slices.
- Put your skillet over medium heat on cooktop. Wait for the pan to heat up a bit, and toss your butter in the skillet. Let it melt.
- When the butter starts bubbling, lay the bread slices mayo side up in the skillet. Let cook 1-2 minutes and flip each slice. Let cook an additional 1-2 minutes, then flip each slice again, leaving the butter side down in the pan.
- Place the 2 colby jack cheese slices on top of the bread slices, and then top with the other bread slice. Let it cook about 30-45 seconds and flip the sandwich.
- Let the sandwich cook another 30 seconds to 1 minute. Check the bottom slice of bread to make sure it isn't getting burnt.
- Flip again. When the bread on each side is cooked to your desired crispness, remove from skillet, let cool for a minute or so, and enjoy!
Just a disclaimer – the better ingredients you use, the better your sandwich is going to taste. I’ve made decent grilled cheeses with sub-par ingredients, but using good bread, butter, cheese, and mayo put this grilled cheese on a whole other level. See my notes below for what I used!
- Butter: I use Kerrygold or the Aldi Irish Butter. You don’t need to measure it perfectly – because with butter? You measure that sh*t with your heart ♥
- Mayo: I recommend Duke’s, or making your own mayo.
- Do you have to add the mayo? No, the butter should be sufficient. But to me, the mayo gives it a little something extra
- Bread: For this particular sandwich, I used Sara Lee Honey Wheat. If you’re on Keto or doing low carb bread, my fave is the Lewis Healthy Life Keto Bread. The Hawaiian flavor is the bomb 😍 I usually grab it from Walmart or Schnucks. If you’re looking on Amazon, this Kiss My Keto Bread is one of their most popular choices.
- Cheese: I used the Sargento brand Colby Jack – feel free to use other types of cheese too!
- Cooking Time: Be sure to check the bottom of the bread often to see how quickly it’s browning. You may need more or less time depending on how hot your burner gets, the pan you use, or other factors. I use a set of tongs to check the bread, and then grab a spatula when I have the full sandwich assembled & am ready to flip.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: If making multiple grilled cheese sandwiches, please note that the butter will start to burn if it is too hot for too long. Either cook several sandwiches at once in one pan, or be sure to reduce the heat, carefully wipe out the pan (I.e., use an oven mitt & paper towels) to clean out the old butter. Then add more butter before cooking additional sandwiches.
Like this Recipe?
Don’t forget to rate it, and leave a comment below!
Want something more filling? Try this savory Best Meatloaf EVER, and don’t forget to subscribe to get my latest posts!