As an Amazon Affiliate and member of various affiliate programs, we may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
I’ve had all kinds of different variations of Lil Smokies, but these Crockpot BBQ Lil Smokies are the best, in my opinion.
Lil Smokies, or as my older relatives like to refer to them, “Beanie Weenies,” have been one of my favorite appetizers since I was a kid.
Football Sundays with my Dad were days of COMPLETE gluttony – we’re talking Imo’s Pizza, Rotel Dip & Tortilla Chips, Dill Dip & Rye Bread, Mini Sandwiches, and all kinds of other greasy fatty goodness.
Those days were never complete without a batch of these lil BBQ masterpieces – which I constantly swiped on my less than stealthy kitchen grazing missions.
What ingredients to use for BBQ Lil Smokies
Here is the short list of what you’re going to need to make this recipe:
- Lil Smokies
- BBQ Sauce
- Brown Sugar
- Chili Sauce
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Garlic Powder
Ready for the Recipe?
This recipe is super easy to make, with just a handful of ingredients for the sweet & tangy BBQ sauce, and just a couple bags of Lil Smokies. It sounds simple – and it is. Simple is good, my friend 😉
Don’t forget to Pin this recipe for later – you’re going to want to keep this one in your party appetizer rotation!
Crockpot Lil Smokies in BBQ Sauce
- Crockpot Liner (optional)
- Mixing bowl
- 2 packages Lil Smokies 14 oz. packages
- 2 cups BBQ Sauce (see notes below recipe for what I used)
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp Chili Sauce
- 2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ⅛ tsp Pepper
- Mix all ingredients for the sauce in a bowl. Be sure to mix well.
- Drop a few spoonfuls of the sauce in the bottom of your (lined) crockpot, & spread evenly – just enough to coat the bottom.
- Dump in your Lil Smokies.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the Lil Smokies, and stir well to coat them evenly.
- Set your crockpot to Low, and let it cook for 3-4 hours, stirring as needed.
- When cooked to your desired level of doneness, dish out your Lil Smokies, & Enjoy!NOTE: Careful, they WILL be hot!
Lil Smokies Recipe Notes:
Crockpot & Crockpot Liners
- I used my small crockpot instead of my bigger one for this. This Hamilton Beach 4 Quart Slow Cooker on Amazon is comparable in size to what I use!
- While this is totally optional, I would advise you to use a crockpot liner – especially with the sticky BBQ sauce in this recipe. You don’t want to be scrubbing that pot til next Sunday!
- Need crockpot liners? I order these Reynolds Slow Cooker Liners on Amazon!
- There are many different brands of Lil Smokies, but for this recipe I used Hillshire Farms brand.
- I always use Sweet Baby Rays Original BBQ Sauce
- For the brown sugar, I just used Great Value Brand Light Brown Sugar
- I used Heinz Chili Sauce. Regardless of the brand you use, be sure to get the regular Chili Sauce, not the sweet!
How Long To Cook
- I prefer my Lil Smokies a lil more done (see what I did there😂), so I cook them on Low for between 3-4 hours before changing the setting to Warm.
- I know some people have said they cook for as little as 2 hours – but that is up to you!
Serving Size – How Many Lil Smokies Come in a Package?
There are approximately 40 links in each package of Lil Smokies.
This recipe calls for 2 packages, so you’ll end up with about 80 Lil Smokies total. I’ve adjusted the serving size to about 5 Lil smokies as an appetizer, so with 2 packages this will serve about 10-15 people.
If you’re making it as an entree, you’ll need to adjust your numbers a bit.
If You Want To Make a Larger Batch
- It’s simple – just double your ingredients! However, you may need a bigger crockpot 😉
- On the recipe card, click the 2x button to double it, and 3x to triple it.
Like this Appetizer Recipe?
Your next Slow Cooker BBQ Recipe to try: Slow Cooker BBQ Pork – it’s tangy & delicious, and sure to be a family favorite.