As an Amazon Affiliate and member of various affiliate programs, we may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
The low carb diet can sometimes be tough when you’re craving something specific – like tortilla chips and dip. That’s why I started making these Low Carb Tortilla Chips when those cravings come!
They’re a quick and easy snack that you can make in ten minutes or less from start to finish, and you don’t need many ingredients for it.
What ingredients to use for Low Carb Tortilla Chips
Here is the very short list of the ingredients you’ll need to make these chips:
- Low Carb Tortilla(s)
- Avocado or Olive Oil
…Yep, that’s it.
How do you make Low Carb Tortilla Chips?
The easiest way that I’ve found to make the perfect crispy low carb tortilla chips is by using my air fryer.
While you CAN bake or pan fry them, these are the cons:
- Pan frying never seems to get the chips crispy enough to scoop & hold dip or even salsa
- Baking takes longer, and I’ve struggled to get consistency with the end results. The chips end up either soggy / undone, or burnt, or both.
Therefore, the most consistent method of making these chips thus far has ultimately been in the air fryer.
Let’s make some chips!
Easy Low Carb Tortilla Chips
- Air Fryer
- 1 Low Carb Tortilla medium sized
- 1 tbsp Avocado or Olive Oil
- ⅛ tsp Salt
- Preheat your air fryer to 350℉.
- Using a pizza cutter or a knife, slice your low carb tortilla into small to medium triangle shapes. Try to keep them close to the same size if possible
- Lightly brush each side of the triangles with avocado or olive oil.
- Evenly sprinkle your salt over the triangles. You can use more or less salt depending on your preference.NOTE: If you'd rather add your salt after the chips are cooked, you can do that instead.
- Add the tortilla triangles to the air fryer basket or tray, and cook for about 1½ – 2 minutes.
- Carefully remove the tray. Using tongs or a fork, flip the chips & put the tray back into the air fryer for an additional 1½ – 3 minutes. Continue checking the chips every 15 – 30 seconds until they are cooked to your desired crispness.
- Carefully remove the tray, let cool 1 – 2 minutes, & serve.
Here are some additional notes about this recipe:
Air Fryer: My air fryer is the kind that comes with several tray baskets, and has a window in the front. If you have this type of air fryer, you can turn the light on & easily keep an eye on your chips. If you don’t have one with a window, just make sure to keep checking your chips so they don’t burn.
Air Fryer Liners: Did you know these were a thing? They are AMAZING! They make air fryer clean-up a breeze. You can get them on Amazon, and at some grocery stores.
Air Fryer Temperature: You might be tempted to crank up the temp – but don’t. You’ll be surprised at how quickly these chips crisp up and begin to brown. Keep the temp at 350 degrees Fahrenheit or less.
The Low Carb Tortilla(s): I have used several different kinds – Aldi brand, La Banderita, & Mission Carb Balance. All of them work just fine for this recipe. Please note – low carb tortillas sometimes have a tendency to stick together, just be mindful of that when you’re pulling them apart.
The Oil: I prefer organic Avocado Oil, but you can also use Olive oil if you’d like. Make sure you don’t soak the chips, just lightly brush on with a basting / pastry brush.
The Salt: I never usually measure out my salt, I just pour a small amount in my hand & sprinkle lightly over my chips. I use natural sea salt for most recipes.
Are low carb tortillas keto?
Low carb tortillas are low in carb count & sugar, but please note that they are still a processed food. Therefore, they’re more of a dirty keto food than clean keto.
What to eat with Low Carb Tortilla Chips
These low carb tortilla chips may not taste exactly like the “real” thing, but they are a great substitute for the carb filled tortilla chips. Here’s a short list of low to moderate carb options you can eat these chips with:
- Rotel Cheese Dip
- Keto Taco Soup
- Avocado hummus
- Keto spinach dip
- Keto BLT Dip
- Cream cheese dips
- Tzatziki Dip